View Single Post
Old 05.18.2014, 05:54 PM   #124
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
How is ''White Light From the Mouth of Infinity'' less planned out than their new albums?

Exactly, they were ALL more or less planned out, just that these past few records seem a bit more so, but I think these records reflect something like Sonic Nurse, a kind of structured chaos. Sonic Nurse was one of the most musical and structural records they ever put out, yet conversely it was filled with all kinds of chaotic feedback and harmonized with ambient noise. It felt like it bridged the gap between noise and music the way great jazz bridges the gap between structure and improvisation. In that regard, it think these past few Swans record nailed it, and while y'all will accuse me of bandwagoning, I didn't necessarily like their earlier music until they more recently shifted in this direction. By no coincidence, my favorite Sonic Youth era was 1998-2004 when they seemed to be doing a similar thing, and I embrace that it is the least popular of the Sonic Youth eras, and I also am starting to embrace the reality that "Swans fans" don't like this era and yet I dig it all the more, just like tool fans didn't like 10,000 Days whereas I thought it was there best, even Nirvana folks be shitting on In Utero when it was clearly a masterpiece I think too often folks want a band to be confined by their earlier works, but think about YOUR OWN LIVES FOR A SECOND, ARE YOU THE SAME PERSON YOU WERE TEN OR TWENTY YEARS AGO?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|