View Single Post
Old 12.17.2016, 03:08 PM   #11
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallow27
Surely you're right but english is not my first language and obviously I don't pay attention to that like you could do, anyway I'm pretty sure SY was not a 'lyric' band, their music can be 'understood' by itself (indeed in some eras they played songs live with no lyrics, prior to the complete production etc...)

'Washing Machine' rocks but 'A Thousand Leaves' was their peak for me in the 90's (and forgetting the 'grunge' scene for defining their music, they never were a 'grunge' band)

With music in general I am very much a lyrics person. I think Thurston, Lee and Kim each have their own very unique way with words, and that is one of my favorite aspects about the band. I think that Sonic Youth was a lyric band in various ways. Thurston originally came to New York to be a poet anyway. Lee is more of a singer/songwriter type. Kim brought something very different lyrically to the band, because she wrote some great lyrics most of the time and her approach was unconventional.

I agree that A Thousand Leaves is better than Washing Machine, and obviously they were almost completely separate from the "grunge scene" (with the exception being that they toured with a lot of the "grunge" bands). I think their best work of the 90's is Goo and Dirty, but I greatly appreciate A Thousand Leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
to see Junkie's Promise and No Queen Blues on the bottom of your lists is just not fair. NQB?!

I agree. I love No Queen Blues and Junkie's Promise (especially the former). I am partial to Thurston's songs no matter the context of the Sonic Youth era and/or album in question.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|