View Single Post
Old 12.10.2014, 11:39 AM   #1542
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I don't get why everyone hated on Adrian Younge's producing on 12 reasons...I thought it was great.

I'll be hopefully buying GFK's album this weekend. It better be as good as you say, Severian.

I think it is. I just read the Pitchfork review and they think it's pretty shamelessly stupid; like it's actually the work of a man with no new ideas who can only do what he's done before again and again....

They're pretty merciless. They also seem to think (reflecting back to us a sentiment that is virtually the exact opposite of our own) that Ghostface Killah has been “in a creative tailspin” for nearly a decade (?!?), struggling for relevance and doing the same-old same-old for 7 years (I'm guessing this little shit means “since Fishscale.” While most of us on the board seem to feel that he is the most daring, relevant & inventive rappers (Wu-Tang or otherwise) to still sell records. I have no clue how the aging 30-something's who populate this board, and who, despite their age, still manage to beat the world to all its music (assuming the rest of the world ever catches up at all!), could be so out of touch with the snowmisers of of modern cool.

Either we're wasting our breath talking about the lamest shit around, or Pitchfork's compass needs to be re-calibrated. Of course GFK has a definitive, signature superhero spin that he puts on all of his work. I'm sure it's not lost on him that 36 Seasons is a lot like 12 Reasons. I mean, the titles rhyme, and the numbers on them (like 36) are all divisible by 12.... This is not a “I don't get my own kitsch” thing... it's not as though GFK doesn't understand the absurdity of his a sci-fi / horror narratives. And with that in mind, it's easier to appreciate how FUCKING HARD the flows live beats go on this record. I guess Pitchfork can't see past the cover art...

Apparently they're also forgetting that they liked 12 Reasons quite a bit. Oh well... Just steer clear of the reviews. Listen to A Better Tomorrow, and let the minor disappointment of that sink in, then crank up the volume and play 36 Seasons. It will be refreshing. By the second track the groove will own you
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|