View Single Post
Old 02.03.2017, 06:44 PM   #130
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
This is sort of exciting. I wouldn't mind hearing some new Dylan songs at some point though. Can't help but feel that he's resting on his laurels a bit of late, what with the $500 archival releases and cover albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Can you blame him? He's 75, had a life that is pretty much unparalleled by anyone in the modern day, seen and done things most of us can only dream about. Give him a break. He's not gonna be releasing another Blonde on Blonde or anytime soon.

To a degree, and this is an absolutely preliminar thought since Triplicate has just been announced, I think this triple record could be Dylan's way of accelerating the release of all the "great American songbook" covers he has done recently and deems worthy of being out, instead of keeping this "project" as one album per year — by the fifth one critics and part of his audience might go, "God, another one...". Not that he may give a flying fuck, come to think of it. Also, even though these are covers I don't think he's going through the motions, as plenty of them are real reinventions.

In any case, the guy certainly does have original material pent-up. When Tempest came out, according to Rolling freakin' Stone he described it:

Quote:
"[...] as a record where "anything goes and you just gotta believe it will make sense." But it isn't the record he set out to make. "I wanted to make something more religious," he says. "I just didn't have enough [religious songs]. Intentionally, specifically religious songs is what I wanted to do. That takes a lot more concentration to pull that off 10 times with the same thread — than it does with a record like I ended up with."

By "religious songs" I very much doubt he meant the Slow Train Coming/Saved/Shot Of Love type; I'm thinking serious carnage!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|