View Single Post
Old 06.04.2011, 07:45 AM   #57
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Shit, I saw a Black Flag cd a few years ago marked 18.99. What a crock of shit. Any band worth a damn will make their coin touring , followed by developing a following of some sort, followed by fans buying stuff. There is just so much music out there these days and it is so incredibly accessible and expecting one to buy everything they want to hear is just insane to me. Do I feel like it is stealing? Of course it is, but I don't follow that "every time you download an album you are taking food out of the mouths of an artist" shit. If you can't survive on making music alone, find a part time job. Sure it sucks, but it's not 1969 anymore. I doubt it'll ever be like that again. Sometimes I'm wrong...who knows.
Well, Greg Ginn needs the money to host his 80 cats.

Also, I kind of agree with the last sentiment which someone earlier touched on, if you expect to make money from an underground music band then there's fat chance of that. Downloading music is now the way a lot of music is distributed and that's not going to change, so if someone wanted to live as a musician they'll have to take that into account and not complain when things don't quite go their way. They could quite easily get a job to make ends meet and not rely on creative endeavours to provide that.

Saying that though, I still support buying merchandise, seeing shows and buying albums. Though I'd buy it with the mindset of knowing that the artist is secure enough to continue making music and not just so they can gain significant financial value.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|