View Single Post
Old 01.18.2015, 04:50 AM   #38349
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think that no matter what happens you have to be kind to yourself. not "if i do well i'll love myself and if i fuck up i'll hate myself". you have to be unconditionally your friend. it's like being able to say: "my mother will always love me." (some people don't have a mother like that, but there is always someone to model that from. ) if you can do that--- life gets a lot less stressful.

yes-- flow needs a balance between challenge and ability. too easy and you get bored, too hard and you get overwhelmed. but knowing what state to pursue (rather than an "end product") could be an interesting approach. i'm not guaranteeing "great results"-- it's just a suggesting for experimentation.

i am self taught w/ most things so i look at youtbe and instructables and how-to books a lot ha ha--- just look at the "what are you reading" thread and i'm always reading some fucking manual. but i am able to keep from flogging myself when things don't work out, so that allows me to be patient and start again when i fuck up until i get it (i didn't use to be that way).

in this way failures become opportunities to learn-- i destroyed a good knife butchering a mutton the other day but i never thought of giving up the butchering and after some mental refresh i started again and found sweet victory. sure, in part i had a solemn duty to cut that meat because i cannot kill an animal just to throw his body away, so i couldn't give it up. but it could have been a tearful experience-- it wasn't. just some regrets for the knife and many technical headaches and a bit of back pain and fatigue. but it was very rewarding in the end, insurmountable obstacles and all (shards of metal in the meat).

if you mentally punish yourself for not being perfect, then working to get good can be really hard, if not impossible. this is where kidness to self comes handy (well it has many benefits but that is definitely one).

i wish i knew where to direct you with that but painting is not my expertise. but about mental states-- read some taoism maybe? could be fun.

i think i don't understand this. what's your work situation right now?

yes. but to do something well it takes a lot of practice. practice takes a lot of patience. patience takes a lot of love. love takes selflessness.

the thing with art school-- there are different kinds of art schools. there's the beaux-arts schools and there are others that take different approach. seems to me the kind you're lookig at has a more beaux-arts approach-- you know, with models, etc. whereas other schools start with concepts and how you implement that is multidisciplinary.

many good artists are self-taught. probably most are. i would write a long rant about this but i am hungry and running out of steam so let me just say-- what about color? if color is your nature-- why not just start from color instead of shape? oh i am hungry now and lightheaded--- probably from last night's drinks. but think about this maybe-- to play to your strengths instead of trying to be well-rounded? i'd list you many examples but maybe later in the day. maybe i'll make a bloody mary and fry some meat ha ha ha. i have a leg of mutton to cook and it will be some work. i'm excited/puzzled. but yes please think about playing to your strengths. more later.

i ll reply to couple of things.
my work situation is the same; we have elections now and after that, i ll start waiting for when i get notice about the job. unless the whole things blows -after the elections.

reading manuals is probably my worst thing to do..so i dont do it.
but yeah
'in this way failures become opportunities to learn-- i destroyed'
that has been one of my major battles; not caring if the outcome will be bad and if i have destroyed canvases and wasted colours.

' what about color? if color is your nature-- why not just start from color instead of shape?'
these days i figured i must do the opposite: do good drawing and paint as if i m drawing. what i have been caring the most and having difficulties with, are my strokes and the way i use the material (acrylics, oil). need to keep them in light textures, because the shit start to happen when the color is more solid.

Plips
you are so right about the ears especially and surely makes sense what you did with photoshop...but thats the pic i m working with..and i have taken good measures these times.
probably its the ankle the pic is taken and then i need to figure out the light/shadow to make this work as it is.

thank you both.

ah and smth nice i should share, is that the model of this, told me last night some dang thing about a painter
who apparently is very good and important - didnt ask a lot, he didnt tell me his name
saw this and said many nice (or other) things about some of my works.
again i didnt ask details.
we might go and meet him - he is at the national gallery.

Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|