View Single Post
Old 03.24.2017, 07:44 PM   #20859
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I suppose there are certain similarities with Fellini, but as is usually the case with any director who tries to dabble in the Fellini-esque, the results are invariably a disaster. The best argument for just how good Fellini actually was might well be in how terrible most Fellini-esque films are.

I think I see what you mean with the Fellini reference, but to me, Brass was, up until the mid-70's, very much a try-any-genre-going director, kind of like a higher-rent (but not much) version of Aristide Massaccessi** It was with his attempt to jump aboard the whole "Night Porter-meets-Cabaret" thing with "Salon Kitty", that he stumbled upon the whole erotica angle. I think he used to refer to his, er, style as "vulgar" - maybe that specific word means something different in Italian? Anyway, I think we can all agree that he ain't no Bigas Luna, that's for sure, let alone Pedro Almoldovar.

**Those eagle-eyed viewers may have noticed that Massaccessi turns up in a cameo appearance in Massimo Dallamano's "What Have You Done To Solange" (he's the Director of Photography in this film). Puffing constantly on a Silk Cut, and sporting a trimmed beard and a blue Pringle jumper (no, really), he's first seen hanging around in Regent's Park (probably looking for Laura Gemser and George Eastman), then appears again in Inspector Barth's office, as one of the pressmen asking a bunch of (badly-dubbed) questions.