View Single Post
Old 09.25.2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.s...see_sonic.html

Rock fans line up to see Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore

by Carly Monday September 24, 2007, 11:34 PM

Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, far right, meets fans outside Maxwell's.

The crowd outside Maxwell's tonight smoked lots of cigarettes and talked shop - Sonic Youth's cult following, their influence on today's rock scene, and the guitar genius of Thurston Moore, who took the stage around 10 p.m.
Rock devotees came from near and far to see Moore - Sonic Youth frontman and founder - play tonight at legendary Hoboken music venue Maxwell's. Moore was "almost" solo tonight; he was joined by Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, a Hoboken resident who also co-owns Maxwell's.
"I'm excited, and a little nervous," said Moore, before taking the stage. "It's the first time doing the new album." Moore kicked off a 12-city tour tonight of his latest album, "Trees Outside the Academy."

Moore (in the red plaid) chats before the show.
"I came all the way from Montana to see him," said Bob Furu, 34, of Bozeman. Well actually, Furu was planning to visit cousins in Milford, PA and then re-scheduled his trip around tonight's show. "Sonic Youth is the greatest invention in rock history. If there was no Sonic Youth, there's no telling what rock music would be like today."
"I've been seeing Sonic Youth since the late '80s; I've never seen Thurston Moore solo before," said Paul Anderson, 53, who traveled from...(hold your breath)...Paramus to see the show. "It's great to see him in a small space. The last time I saw Sonic Youth was at McCarren Pool in Brooklyn in August of 2007."
"They have so much influence on alternative music in the late 80s and 90s - they helped Nirvana get signed," continued Anderson. "In New York, I used to see them at the old Ritz, Roseland, CBGB's, but this is the best club in the tri-state area, in my opinion. It's the most comfortable, you can see the bands - Maxwell's feels like a neighborhood place."
And here's some more love for Hoboken's best-known live music spot:
"Maxwell's is the best venue in New Jersey. Anybody that was ever cool played here," said Dan Hewitt, 27, from the Bronx. "It's better than most comparable places in New York." (En-Jay in the hizzouse!)
"Yeah, everything's been Clear Channeled up!" agreed his friend, Kayla Bradshaw, 25, of Queens.
It's OK, Kayla, I think Maxwell's is in good hands. I can't see someone from Sonic Youth selling out to corporate media.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|