View Single Post
Old 07.19.2007, 04:42 AM   #17
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2007...e-musical.html

A place dedicated to that sweet spot where music and movies meet.

7/18/2007

We Forgot Cat Power: More Musical Interpretations In The Zimmy Film

We've done some digging and a reliable source has given us a musical update on the tunes recorded for the Todd Haynes directed Bob Dylan biopic, "I'm Not There."

Of course we just wrote about the bands who have recorded Dylan songs for the film; some of them include Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, Stephen Malkmus (he's a Portland buddy and neighbor of Haynes), My Morning Jacket and Calexico.

Now we've learned that Yo La Tengo has recorded two songs for the film, "Fourth Time Around" (from Blonde on Blonde) and "I Wanna Be Your Lover" (from the boxset retrospective Biograph).

Amusingly enough, in our aforementioned "I'm Not There" musical re-cap, we forgot to mention something we had already reported: Cat Power covering "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" with the Memphis Rhythm Band (the fantastic backing band she toured with in the spring of '06). Here's what we wrote back in April:
The [Paper magazine] article was full of other very interesting tid-bits as well. Turns out the song [Marshall] recorded for Todd Haynes' upcoming Bob Dylan artsy-biopic, "I'm Not There," will be the song, "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again," from Blonde on Blonde. She's "unabashedly fanatic," about Dylan and has a shrine dedicated to Zimmy on her living room bookcase ("It's tacky, let's face it," she told the magazine).
And lastly, keep in mind: Just because a song has been recorded for a film doesn't neccesarily guarantee its inclusion in the film. While we've reported and collated a ton of potential songs that could be in the film, it doesn't neccesarily mean they'll actually be in the film. But here's to hoping...

The Leaked Clip

Some people are suggesting the guy in the car next to Dylan/Jude/Cate Blanchett is John Lennon. It's all speculation of course, but we're not really sure we buy that. If that's John Lennon, whoever that actor is played by (Adam Goldberg? It's extremely hard to tell) is doing a pretty strange interpretation (and a terrible Lennon accent). A comment posted in the Rolling Stone blog story section assumed it was the Animals' Alan Price which to us doesn't sound as dubious as Lennon, but again, it's all conjecture. Having just watched the clip again, we're going to bet it's not Lennon.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|