View Single Post
Old 09.12.2014, 04:27 PM   #1082
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm just talking about the flow. I mean, Em has a verse that is so rapid it's insane and then flips to a way slowed down flow. It's awesome. Impressive.

Yeah crazy right? Ye made 808s - and it sort of seemed to 'create' a new sub-genre. The sensitive dudes who sing... and rap. The rappers who's 3rd single from every album is a sensitive singing ballad. Whatever. But yeah Drake has become the prince of that. For sure. Ugh. It's funny, I almost find the whole thing annoying. Like I kind of want to not like Drake. But then I end up liking his albums a lot. Every. Friggin. Time.

But you right, 808s is a modern classic. Funny how it seems to be almost the Ye album that nobody remembers.

Related: I feel like "Amazing" is *maybe* my favorite Kanye single ever.

("Mercy" is a strong contender)

Recently read an article on some meh-quality hip hop webzine about 808's being Kanye's best and most influential album. It's definitely the record that set him apart from the crowd... (Well, honestly Late Registration and Graduation are just as unique, but the don't represent the same kind of "big picture" artistic vision.

808's proved that Kanye could be, essentially, whatever he wanted to be. It's not like he changed into a neo-soul crooner permanently. He just said:

"look, this is where I'm at. It's not 'me', none of my albums are 'me,' but they represent a piece of me from a particular time. And right now I'm feeling kinda fuckin' down so I'm a take shit back to basics and feed you snapshot of my soul at this moment in time"

If he's stayed in that mindset, and continued making that kind of music, the album would have lost it's value and Ye probably would have ruined himself. Instead, he moved right along and kept making albums that reflected his mindset at different moments in time. That's why his discography is so fucking perfect it makes Radiohead's run look about as varied as Green Day's. Every album is infused with that motherfucker's heart and soul, which (like everyone's) are constantly in a state of growth and change.

808's started a trend that really turned him into a fucking master of his trade.

And yes, "Amazing" was one of the songs that made me give up and stop resisting: the very first time I heard it, I went from "man I hate that guy" to "OK I surrender- that was fucking unreal, where do I buy it?"

Seriously, it was that simple.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|