View Single Post
Old 03.29.2006, 06:48 AM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I'm suprised nobody has posted Sigor Ros. It doesn't get that much Avant Garde then that.

No, seriously, avant-garde? Sigur 'tired idea in the mid-70's' Ros?

And Phish?

I wouldn't say something like Steve Reich's 18 musicians was terribly avant-garde, but it is pleasant and certainly closer to the founding notions of a radical aesthetic (which is a very blithe rendition of what avant is, but still) than Phish or Sigur Ros.

How about Toru Takemitsu? Berhard Gunther? I'd agree with Fennesz for some pleasant, simple stuff. Or Arvo Part. Part isn't necessarily that avant (more neo-eclessiastical to my ears) but he certainly is deeply pleasant and not at all abraisive.

Or even stuff like Miles Davis and John Coltrane - they're pretty pleasant while being fairly at the forefront of Jazz (well, they were a million years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|