View Single Post
Old 04.12.2017, 12:41 PM   #48656
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
There are plenty of albums from the era I like, a few I love and then there's Sonic Youth. Even if in a given moment I might "like" another group more, the critic part of me knows that, artistically speaking, SY is better.

I think I've listened to 450 of the 500 albums he (poorly) writes about in this kind of annoying book. After scanning every title, I shut the book and was and remain more convinced than ever that SY's artistic output is the most historically noteworthy achievement of this genre.

If I didn't agree, I probably wouldn't be here. I don't "fanboy-out" about an artist unless I consider it/them one of, if not the, absolute best of he best. I don't join groups or forums for groups that were good some of the time.

Sonic Youth has the strongest discography in contemporary music. Who's had a better, longer run? The Beatles, some would say, but Bad Moon Rising has a hell of a lot more to offer than Please Please Me. Fugazi has a pretty perfect run, but didn't realease as much material or cover as much ground. Velvet Ubderground? Nirvana? Neither lasted long enough or released enough to be in the running, great as they are.

• SY has the best discography, most incomparable, in guitar-based music.
• Aphex Twin has the best discography, most incomparable, in electronic music.
• Kanye West has the best, most incomparable discography in hip-hop.
• Coltrane has the jazz discography that makes everyone else's look like crap.
• The Beatles have the most best, most incomparable, culturally significant discography in "pop."

These are the artists I'd devote significant time to needing out over, basically.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|