View Single Post
Old 07.25.2014, 09:17 AM   #45
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I live in Meaux. There hasn't been too many music stars coming from here.
I saw Pepone & les Nénesse.
Among the local keupon bands (a caricature of punk for fun with lots of beer) they were the most respected. Because their singer had been a roadie for Kortatu.
Kortatu, don't say who...

I've checked on wikipedia and found out that writer Michel Houellebecq once studied here.
He wasn't born in the neighbourhood so his family must have moved. I'm pretty much younger, and my family moved there later. It was a huge shock, coming from a place with friendly faces. He probably started having those horrible thoughts right away, as other kids would do their best to ignore him.
He recorded an album under Bertrand Burgalat's guidance (I'm not that guy). Eiffel played on most tracks. Eiffel are a sub-Noir Désir band.

There's been a festival in my city since 2005, so maybe some local kids who don't go to rave parties will be inspired and get things going... but I really don't think so.
The concept (http://www.muzikelles.fr/pages/accueil/bienvenue.html) was, in 2005, of an all-female singers festival, during 2-3 days. Most of whom would have been French, as our mayor is French and France is the best and foreigners are shit, unless they're wealthy.
After a while, they suddenly realized that they'll quickly have to pick the same artists year after year.
So they changed a bit. Now male singers are allowed, as long as they have special female guests. Which leads to crappy under-rehearsed duos that flatten already flattened perfomances (this is second-hand knowledge, the festival pissed me off the only time I got there to see someone I liked, as they also have this TV guy who jumps on stage once a gig is over to blabber about this and that, not allowing silence to play any part between sets).

People who have played there:
Musicians who already had a carreer: Jane Birkin, Maurane (twice), former Stephen Stills wife Véronique Sanson (twice, I don't think she will be invited for a third as last time she sang "I've got to fart, I've to to poop" for a couple of minutes with our brave mayor by her side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu73qAEsc-s), Hubert-Félix Thiéfaine (beautiful texts, I was surprised to see his name - he's famous for his late 1970s songs about dope and poetic nightmares, which don't suit our lovely mayor's views), Bernard Lavilliers (a leather suit since 1975, earrings, the people, music from outside Europe, as surprising an inclusion)... Suzanne Vega must have been the sole artist not to sing any French to play here...
Noobs: Adrienne Pauly (my favourite, but she focused on acting after that and seems to be unemployed), Superbus, who played a Sonic Youth cover during the festival. The wind brought it to my windows.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|