View Single Post
Old 08.01.2016, 06:32 PM   #48054
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Honestly I go back and forth on it. I just fucking LOVE the Kinks. The Davies brothers made some of the most beautiful and ass-kicking music of that — or any other — era. And if I had to choose between "Victoria" and any Beatles or Stones song ever, I'd choose "Victoria" (studio version) every morherfucking time.

I do — from a kind of pop culture scholar standpoint — tend to view the Beatles as the "alpha and omega" of pop music in general. But from a more personal perspective, I see it a little differently. The Beatles never wrote anything quite like what the Kinks produced during their peak period.

As a whole, yes, the Beatles had a more fruitful and consistent discography, but they also quit at their peak. The Kinks went on to put out so-so records in the '70s and '80s, but also made some great records in those years. I used to just straight up prefer the Kinks. But now I look at it differently. Like, the Beatles were the Beatles. Whether you're a fan or not, it would be silly to argue that anyone has ever had a bigger influence on music. The Kinks were the runt of that particular litter, and as a result made some crazy awesome, weird as fuck, gloriously goofy yet jarringly poignant music that the Beatles were simply too big to make.

So, y'know, I wasn't really implying that the Beatles were the alpha/omega, but the general consensus in pop culture is that they were and are. I still love those late '60s/early '70s Kinks records as much as most of the Beatles' output.

In other words, I'm not one of those "Beatles or bust" nazis. There were times when they were a step behind the Kinks, the Stones, and definitely the Velvets (though that's getting into another topic entirely, one that would require mention of Dylan, and others, so let's steer clear of that for the purposes of this conversation.)

Beatles never wrote anything with the thunderous momentum of "Powerman" (nope... Not even "Helter Skelter." It may have been heavier and more frenetic, but it doesn't have the same energy). Neither did Zeppelin for that matter ( ... but yeah, it's true).
And they never wrote anything as wonderfully silly as "Apeman." The Beatles never wrote anything quite as emotionally poignant in that achingly beautiful, proto-Replacements, heart-on-sleeve kind of way as "Strangers," which makes me cry on the reg, for realzies.

But catalog vs. catalog, the Beatles do pretty much own everyone, mostly because they didn't keep at it long enough to embarrass the living shit out of themselves, as the Who, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Stones... even Dylan, most certainly did.

Have I answered the question you never asked with my lengthy, completely unprompted, all-over-the-goddamn-place reply? Good. Cheers.

The Kinks are wonderful but nothing like the Beatles in my heart. I once would have agreed with you about everything in that post. I listened to so much Kinks one year when I was younger, collecting everything I could get from mid to late 60's up to Arthur but, I started to have massive amounts of mid life crisis-like anxieties and longing way before I was mid-life. Beatles just grow with love over time. The Kinks were making me sad. esp. a song like "This Time Tomorrow". I will say this, like the Stones, the Kinks made me realize 60's music was pretty cool at a young age. yea. nothing like hearing "Under my Thumb" or "Set Me Free" and "You Really Got Me" for the first time. Beatles came later in age.

Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur, and all the singles in between have I special place in me too. excellent classic song craft if quite goofy, twee and mocking at times.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|