View Single Post
Old 06.15.2010, 11:41 PM   #9
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
When I was 15 in 1977, Telephone Line was becoming a hit, and I fucking adored that song. I had to ask a music-fan friend who it was, and when I later realized that Livin Thing, Strange Magic, and Evil Woman were by the same group, I went nuts.

These were songs that I loved, but as a young teen I never really paid attention to who the groups were. When Turn To Stone was released, I was ready and waiting for the new ELO.

To say that Turn To Stone didn't let me down is a gross understatement. I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when that song first came on. It fuckin blows me away to this day. What a melody. What lyrics. What layering of vocals and strings as the song progresses. It's fucking ingenious.

Never mind that later stuff though, here is Exhibit B:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mmx68VmTEo

Aside: Jeff Lynne is a fucking great singer. This is often overlooked.