View Single Post
Old 02.15.2010, 04:53 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yes, what a blunder. we should keep calling them "niggers". our apologies to you.

No.. but he is absolutely correct here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
In the US, the term African-American is preferred by, mostly, well-intentioned but hopelessly naive whites..

I despise the term African-American. If is hopeless inaccurate. Most black folks in America have nothing to do with Africa, and in the US there are American citizens from African countries. Nigerian-Americans or Ethiopian-Americans are "African-Americans"

Black folks are black folks.

The real trouble with term African-American is that is used interchangeably, even with a single sentence, with "black" and "black Americans" etc etc

That is where I personally call foul. People don't say use racial descriptions as interchangeably as they do those for black folks, which in my view implies a bit of racism, not necessarily overtly negative, but racism none-the-less. To be overly conscious of a person's racial identity, and in fact draw an unnecessary amount of attention to it, is racism.

and as far as African-American goes, I generally ONLY hear that term used in class-room settings and discussions when a person is PURPOSELY trying not to offend a black person. If in your own mind you are comfortable saying "black" and would use the term "sans" black people around, the using another term is text-book racism. In fact, I wonder what African-American is a euphamism for in these folks, are they thinking nigger? Does black carry any negative racial connotations for them? Why can't they use it?

Truly black people do not colloquially refer to themselves as "african-americans" and they are not offended at being called "black" so long as offense was not the intention of the speaker.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|