View Single Post
Old 12.16.2016, 09:26 AM   #48355
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
I know..
same here..

Oh good, because I think pepepr_green misunderstood what I was saying.

I didn't mean Frank Ocean, James Blake and Radiohead are lame (though I do kinda think James Blake is overrated, and I think Radiohead is more or less done being anything more than "pretty good" at best)... I meant, what's the fucking point of declaring your "anti-establishment," "fuck you, mainstream!" cred with an opening statement as audacious as that when you're still going to fill your list with artists that are of the exact same, if not greater, trad-pop critic bait?

Nothing against Rihanna or Beyoncé... definitely nothing against Kanye, but it's just fucking absurd to make such a high and mighty statement of intent to set yourself apart from the crowd, only to praise the hell out of a bunch of artists that are every bit as ubiquitous in pop culture as those that were dissed in that abismal, preposterous lead.

Also... Maybe Radiohead didn't do their best work this year (ok, definitely... they definitely didn't) and maybe James Blake is meh, but Frank Ocean's Blonde is one of the straight up weirdest pop albums in ages. It's weird AF. Hard to listen to at times with all its micro-songs, spoken word interludes, blips and bleeps of noise and screaming, interspersed with beautiful songs. So, I'd say Blonde is downright punk compared to Lemonade, which is the year's biggest piece of over the top critic candy (despite some great songs).

It's like saying "No Good Will Hunting or Fargo here... we're too cool for that. But Titanic? Shit yeah!"
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|