View Single Post
Old 12.14.2016, 11:20 AM   #48342
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
I did not like this track either. not my cup of tea. it does have that take on late 70ties blurred funk/disco a la Daft Punk style though. speaking about electronic music genres, I like them so much, but more of contemporary, experimental and dark stuff, yeah and would be lying if I say I don't like some classics as well of course.

I understand. Thanks for listening.

He's no DJ Koze, but Kornél Kovács is a colleague of Axel Boman's, and he's learning. I didn't expect to like his album as much as I do (it takes some balls to name your first album after a track as iconic and epoch-making as Jeff Mills' "the Bells"), but it mixes a few of my choice sounds — namely, exuberant, nostalgic '90s house, and the off-beat whimsy of Koze's Pampa imprint, which has produced some of the weirdes and warmest techno of the decade. I see some room for improvement, but it's a promising debut for sure.

Anyway you say you like electronic music with a darker tone. Maybe this is a dumb or obvious question, but have you listened to Nicolas Jaar's SIRENS yet?

Certainly my favorite electronic release of the year, and it's only "electronic" out of categorical necessity. A lot of the album pulls directly from post-punk and no wave... there's a great deal of unsampled vocal "singing" (often monotone talk/singing over a beat a la Alan Vega) and it even breaks out into full on soul at the end, complete with live instrumentation. If you haven't already listened to it, I highly recommend it. Jaar is quickly becoming one of the most reliable artists in music, and I think SIRENS is actually better as an album than Space is Only Noise, even if that record was longer and offered slightly more bang for your buck.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|