View Single Post
Old 07.09.2013, 04:11 PM   #3363
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Given the nature of tournament football (especially international tournament football), I think tactics play a relatively minor role. Besides obviously talent, fitness, etc, the next most important ingredient for winning something like the Euros or the WC, in my opinion (besides a bit of luck) is nerve, or strength of character. No one can question the talent of a number of German players during the Low era but, you'd have to agree, there's been doubts about quite a few of them in that particular area, at least until only very recently. Spain didn't always win every tournament by playing brilliant football, but they were always unflappable in the big games. For all their diminutive stature and emphasis on flair rather than strength, they were as hard as nails where they needed to be. Ramos? Puyol? Busquets? These weren't necessarily the most technically gifted players but they were all big game ones. Add that to the ice cool intelligence of Xavi and Xabi-Alonso, and the out and out skill of Iniesta, and you have the real reason why Spain were able to dominate the way they did.

We can blame some of Germany's alleged mental fragility on Low but it was something that, until last season, also appeared to be an issue with Heynckes' Bayern. So we really have to point the finger mainly at individual players. (And Low did take them to a final, in Euro 2008.)

oh, shit! yeah i boned the dates-- i actually didn't (couldn't) watch the 2008 euros. the loss to italy was on the 2006 world cup semis and it was klinsmann's team (though reportedly w/ low's tactics who was his assistant).

i'll have to disagree with you on the tactical front. picking your formation to beat the opponent is crucial to ANY game. harnessing your player's talents in the right formation is essential as well. yes, players either choke or rise to the occasion, no question about that, but tactics, primitive as they may be vs. , are central to victory or defeat, and have made football history, even when teams weren't champions--- hungary 56, netherlands 74, etc etc.. so yes i give you the increased role of a players character no doubt but how teams are laid out and who occupies each seat (and hell, who gets called up) are absolutely vital. smart coaches win games and stupid ones lose them. knowing what your players can or cannot do-- vital. the relationship of player and coach-- ha! ask the french! a lot rests on those shoulders.

eh, im on a brief hit-and-run post here but if you get a chance to get by your office scanner... or shit, just a phone photo should suffice, the perfect is the enemy of the good eh? thanks man.

alright man thanks!

ps- okay, maybe low has just been unlucky. and maybe it DOES bug me that he eats boogers. on camera. creepy
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|