View Single Post
Old 05.05.2006, 08:39 AM   #13
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
i think most people are bemused because of bands like green day and blink 182.. punk is not limited to that, and ideas are more fluid than the rigid representations of those bands..
just look at lydon's PiL - could we have post-punk without the initial punk?

i would proudly consider sonic youth punk.. at its best..

For the record, I think Pil sucks a nut.

But anyhow

I'll try to address this as abstractly as possible.

Candymoan, I see your point about progression, though I think for the most part that's almost incidental. I agree with Glice that's moreso a mentality that will, independently (I use that word loosely, for argument's sake) of predecessors, produce 'innovative' music; in this case, music that, by general criteria, seems to reflect punk influences. I think more often when you can definitively track a progression, it's the result of mimicry with little or no independent development.

Sure, you can plot a timeline of how SY came into existence, or cite what instigated Thurston's interest in noise, etc., but again, I think that's incidental. Pre-existing bands/genres serve as a reference point, but not necessarily an integral element in a band's generation or maturation.

That didn't make sense. It's early, I'm tired. Fuck off and quit giving me a hard time.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|