View Single Post
Old 04.28.2009, 06:20 PM   #174
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
To all who say it's better than RR, I have to ask, why. What does The Eternal do that is better/different than RR?

What it does that is better: Everything.

What it does that is different:
-With the exception of 'Pink Steam' and 'Jams Run Free,' 'Rather Ripped' offered few well-written songs. Everything is well-written on 'The Eternal.' All of the songs know how to start with awesome effect, just how long an idea should last before moving on, and even when using the Sonic Youth formula, know how to do it and create a fresh product versus a nostalgic one.
-The only song on 'Rather Ripped' that introduced any new musical ideas was 'Do You Believe in Rapture?' Plenty of songs do this on 'The Eternal.'
-Rather Ripped was stripped of noise. There were very few interesting sonic textures. 'The Eternal' is ripe with them.
-'Rather Ripped' tried to be fun, with occassional success. 'The Eternal is effortlessly successful.
-'Rather Ripped' (and 'Sonic Nurse' before it) offered plenty of boring moments. 'The Eternal' doesn't have a single moment that bores me upon the first few listens.

You also noted that it takes time to create the classics. This is hardly true. 'Sister' was written quickly, and in my opinion it's the best Sonic Youth has to offer.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|