View Single Post
Old 04.29.2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
that is bullshit. pure language fascism.
people should speak the language they wanna speak.
if they are working, paying their tax and not comitting any crimes it's not anyone's business whether they learn YOUR language or not.

you might not know this, but some people suck so BAD at learning languages they will never become fluent. It's not because they don't want to, they just can't.

better suggestion: why don't you sort out a more comprehensive effective public transport system so everyone doesn't have to drive? too much fucking fuel there. Not everyone wants to pollute to make a living.

I support the sentiments expressed in this post.

The idea of monolinguism doesn't really exist, except in the UK and US. And even in the UK we have (quite rightly) Welsh language supported as a dual-language in its territory. You speak to the average African and they are genuinely astonished at how we in the UK often only know one language. Those who speak, say, Lingala or Pedi don't necessarily do so fluently, but the idea of not being able to have a bit of communication in other languages is laughable. The idea that immigrant communities could come to America or the UK and never learn a word of English is preposterous (and fantastically rare), and getting defensive about English - as if it's going to disappear if someone would rather speak Polish - is absurd and overly protective. Especially in America, where there are massive communities of people who don't come from an English-speaking background who have been part of American society since year dot (i.e., Spanish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|