View Single Post
Old 04.29.2010, 11:11 AM   #5
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
So said gubernatorial candidate Tim James, who proposes that the state driver's exam should be offered in English only. For the most part, I agree with him. Of course, I love the idea of America as a melting pot. Different races, religions, ideologies, etc. But if you and I live in the same country, and we can't even have a conversation, then what do we have in common? A country should be more than just a geographical territory. If you go to live in a country, and you don't learn the primary language of 90% of its residents (or whatever the number is), then are you really trying to become part of that country's society? Or are you only trying to create your own subculture?

As for the driver's exam, you could make the argument that recently-arrived immigrants need to be able to drive in order get a job and get established, while they learn English, but you could also argue that speaking English should be required to even live here in the first place.

Thoughts? I fully expect to get ridiculed for this, but that's life, isn't it?

that is bullshit. pure language fascism.
people should speak the language they wanna speak.
if they are working, paying their tax and not comitting any crimes it's not anyone's business whether they learn YOUR language or not.

you might not know this, but some people suck so BAD at learning languages they will never become fluent. It's not because they don't want to, they just can't.

unless you are trying to say you should all learn native american languages to live in that land, of course. (because you did say primary language (s))

that's life isn't it?

i want them all to be like me, i won't tolerate them speaking another language in MY MY MY MY country, oh well.

better suggestion: why don't you sort out a more comprehensive effective public transport system so everyone doesn't have to drive? too much fucking fuel there. Not everyone wants to pollute to make a living.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|