View Single Post
Old 07.21.2012, 03:10 AM   #15929
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Watched Batman Begins for the first time since I saw it in theaters last night. Watched The Dark Knight for the first time EVER immediately after.

My thoughts...

Batman Begins - I've gotta say, I love how this movie starts out. And by that I don't mean I enjoyed the first act, actually I found it to be pretty painful to sit through until Bruce Wayne officially became Batman. But alas - no, I actually LOVED the very opening shot of the film. It's perfect!

I think with this film, I finally understand why some people dig Nolan so much (I really liked Insomnia too, but I haven't seen it recently). Either he or his DP really know how to frame shots, but I don't think his style works so much in this flick when there are quick edits made. Those actually came across as pretty sloppy to me, this film's strength from a technical standpoint were the very slow shots. Which is sad, because that exact tip-toe pacing is what caused me to scoff more than I should have at the flick. It's a bit heavy-handed, don't ya think? Lots of talk, very little action. Even less interesting action.

It was alright I guess, I can see why nobody really mentions this movie anymore. Especially after I watched...

The Dark Knight - A masterpiece. I'm actually surprised I enjoyed it so much. I've dreaded finally watching this film for years now. Just thinking of this film used to give me nightmares of greasy, black "WHY SO SERIOUS" t-shirts with stretched-out collars. I still don't quite get that obsession, that line wasn't even one of the coolest parts of the movie.

What I did like was how natural this film felt. Did they film this on a RED? It looks fantastic! Also there was a very good attention paid in the sound editing, the music was sparse, lining a realistic tone within many key action scenes. You really have to appreciate a director, cast, and crew that can make a story this wild seem plausible. Especially with Harvey Dent in the picture (oh man, was I stoked to see him, I had no idea he'd show up in this film!)

My editing qualms from Batman Begins were also nulled. The cuts were superb, each tightly-wound action sequence melted like butter. Not sure if it's a different editor, or the last guy just learned to differentiate between cuts more - but either way, I couldn't get enough!

So yeah, I really liked this movie. It was outrageous, enthralling, action-packed, and surprisingly believable. Everything I wished Batman Begins would be while I was watching it.

I still think I enjoyed the Avengers more. Or even Spider-man 2 if I'm being honest with myself. But this def. ranks up there - I'm just a Whedon/Marvel fanboy at heart. Will still try and catch a showing of TDKR on Monday. Hopefully it comes anywhere near TDK.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|