View Single Post
Old 02.13.2011, 08:53 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Geek thread, yeah!

I struggle to trust guitarists who use thinner gauges, to be honest. Learn to play, don't sacrifice tone. That's my motto.

I actually like the crisper tone I get out of .9 setup, it is a bit refreshing after spending so many years in the dark realms of the .22 setup..

and I don't use the light gauge for the bending, its for the action, it is smooth as silk to run through scales and leads on light strings, and the chords just melt out your hands. but again, I used to use such heavy strings I might just appreciate the exaggerated effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
I broke .9s fairly often, and now they just seem like toy strings.
Quote:

Also, breaking strings means you have bad technique or a badly setup guitar.

I agree, I use .9 and I rarely if ever break a string, in fact I have to consciously remember to change em out often enough because I haven't broken them (accidents aside) in years..

Quote:
Tone is definitely relative to taste, but thinner gauges will always sound tinny and crap, to my ear.

You have to adjust the EQ settings accordingly, I use the light gauge for a lighter sound, particularly clean channel work, but I still naturally play the heavy stuff I used to use .22 for, and to keep the same dark tone I just adjust the EQ to match, and I get a satisfactory sound even with the light gauges. its as you said, a matter of taste.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|