View Single Post
Old 11.13.2016, 09:03 AM   #19863
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I couldn't agree more. I've tried countless times with it because I really really want to like it. Barker clearly has a great imagination and the scenes with the cenobites are awesome but the rest of it is just so flat. The main girl is particularly awful. Although I'm not sure if that's her fault or just poor direction from Barker (I suspect the latter). Fans will definitely disagree but, for me, if there was ever a film that warranted a remake it's that one. So long as whoever did it, didn't fuck around with the cenobites: the film's sole saving grace imo.
YES. and sure the cenobites are awesome but the problem is that here they're just an IDEA, not characters. they're almost... props.

the problem here is this was 3 stories:
-the story of the hedonist that goes too far (frank & the cenobites). could have been great. like eyes wide shut but with a guilty participant.
-the story of the horny housewife who goes postman rings twice. could have been great too.
-the story of the innocent girl who.. some shit happens in her family or somehting, she makes faces... not so good.

so you don't even know who the fuck you're following here or why. it's pretty shit.

maybe they wanted to do this like the evil dead, when we progressively find out who are these deadites (lol) but no.

also evil dead was made supercheap but had the sense to use light to create a mood even if it was obviously fake & cheaply done--those beams coming out of the cabin and those hanging silks work great even if you know they're artificial.

hellraiser looked like a hallmark movie as severian says because the light was flat as fuck. like a soap opera. since the days of german expressionism it became evident that chiaroscuro works for horror FOR A REASON. namely, that things are hidden just around the corner. all the good ones know this.

i appreciate the attempt and a lot of good ideas in the story but the movie is a bit shit. best suited for talkback tv where you can joke about the penis head monster or the lady's helmet haircut or the girl's terrible terrible acting.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|