View Single Post
Old 12.20.2016, 11:39 AM   #3864
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I have been digging upon the new Tribe so much. They remembered to enjoy themselves. The last 2 De La albums have been relatively joyless affairs....

Glad you like the new Tribe. I'd definitely think your primary auditory cortex was failing to perform some essential function if you didn't. I already suspect you might be missing something upstairs on account of your attitudes toward Kanye and Illmatic, but if you like We Got it From Here... I won't worry TOO much about you.

However, I think calling the new De La Soul "joyless" is unfair and inaccurate. First of all, it's fucking De La Fucking Soul. The closest they came to "joyless" was Stakes is High, and that was and is their best album ever.
Secondly, ...And the Anonymous Nobody is a colorful and pretty exuberant victory lap of an album with robot voices, fantasy-tinged role playing, and cartoon cover art. Sure it has its serious (sometimes even dour) moments, but ... honestly, "CBGBS" sounds like it could be on the new Tribe. So I'm a little baffled by your assessment. Especially since We Got it From Here... contains plenty of gloomy sentiments about America's socio-cultural climate.

And the tape De La dropped before this, Smell the DA.I.S.Y., was more or less a remix project (croasbread with a tribute album maybe?), full of repurposed and re-recorded material. Not really fair to count it as an album. Still sounded awesome though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|