View Single Post
Old 04.12.2013, 06:26 AM   #45219
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
these are my thoughts exactly. halcyon digest was fine as it was, but when I listen to it I'm perturbed somewhat by the fact that I know every song could be like desire lines or earthquake or something along those lines. I was hoping that their trajectory would be that they would take the microcastle sound and pretty much blow it the fuck up, more extreme in every way, so it would be more abstract but it would be tied together by their incredible melodies. I wanted them to use noise in the same way as say my bloody valentine, as a means of containing melody as opposed to something which clouds it.

stars of the lid - avec laundem
wolf eyes - no answer : lower floors
flying saucer attack - mirror
earth - angels of darkness, demons of light I
jim o'rourke - bad timing
popol vuh - in der garten pharaos
the dead c - s/t

To be fair, Deerhunter (or rather, Cox himself) is a more multi-focus musician than, say, the Lips or MBV were at this point in their careers. I think he may have used Atlas Sound as his vehicle for the kind of thing we're talking about, and that may have thrown off the career trajectory we were hoping for.

Does that make sense? It's as if "Let the Blind..." was where all the spacey noise that (in my opinion) should have been on Microcastle ended up. And Logos could have been album #5 all by itself. Then Halcyon may have made more sense, and this album would make more sense in the grand scheme.

It's like they were going to do a Lips or MBV thing, but Ckx decided to do that with the surprise Hit that was Atlas Sound instead, leaving Deerhunter as the more traditional project, and AS as the channel for experimentation.

If Atlas Sound never existed, Deerhunter might just have an extremely Sonic Youth-like discography at this point. I love Atlas Sound, but that thought kind of perturbs me. I'm all for multiple projects, but I also enjoy watching one of my favorite bands move through the chaotic and experimental phases under the same name they started out with.

I am still loving the shit out of this album, but I do wish it was longer, contained longer songs, and featured more of the discordant beauty that made me drop my jaw over this band in the first place. It's probably safe to assume that Cryptograms will be the best Deerhunter album... Always. And it's probably a safe bet that AS will bounce back from the atrocity that was Parallax (which to be fair, I must admit I only listened to once... But nothing about it sounded worth repeating, so there you have it. Yet "Let the Blind.." And. Logos are two of my favorite albums of the last 10 years. Pretty much perfect, as I said, just as Cryptograms was.

Anyway, obviously I have thought way too much about this. Ha
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|