View Single Post
Old 10.13.2017, 05:56 PM   #50216
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I think originality is overrated honestly. And I mean let's be real: any band making music with say guitars and drums... not all that original is it? They might use some diff chords - or no chords at all. But other bands have done those things too.

With music, and any art, I just want things that sound good to me or whatever. It's all about the personal response. Like, when I hear a song I like I'm not thinking "okay, wait... is this new and unique? Has this been done before? I don't want to like it if it's not checking off these boxes first..." y'know?

Same here with the “does it sound good to me?” criteria, but I do think that things that sound new, different or compelling in one way or another are more likely to sound good to me than things that sound exactly like 40+ years of other stuff.

Very little is truly original, but the stuff that is tends to be better overall than the stuff that lacks inventiveness and originality completely. That can, I believe, be pretty fairly said about the Foo Fighters. There is nothing going on there that hasn’t been done better a million times.

But I do think I know what you mean to some extent. After all, I get all the Thurston and Lee albums knowing they’re going to sound like Thurston and Lee. And I like those albums. But they don’t pump me up or make my brain tingle like shit that sounds urgent and necessary and daring.

But whatever I’m just some asshole.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|