View Single Post
Old 11.19.2009, 12:04 AM   #23
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://mog.com/badseed57/blog/1596655

Interview with NYC Experimental duo White Out

Posted about 12 hours agoThis one's been a work in progress between my lack of time with the new baby and the busy schedule of a band, I'm just glad Tom Surgal and Lin Culbertson were able to give me a few minutes for this quick interview.
Sonic Dissonance: I wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to talk with me about your new album, Senso. This type of experimental/improvisational music isn't for the masses, instead of the cookie-cutter studio sound, you've managed to put two 45 minute songs on this album. What's the recording process like? I imagine there aren't many more than 1 take to get it on record.
LIN: This was a live performance at the club Tonic, recorded by the very talented Kari Erikson, so yes, there was only one take, the performance itself. That's how we accomplish all our recordings. We are improvisors and do not preconceive anything before we start playing.

TOM: Well of course Senso is a live album recorded in front of an audience at the now defunct Tonic club, so there's no starting over. We played two long sets and chose the best pieces from each show.TOM: I immersed myself in the works of the great improvising masters at the age of 13, and I've devoted much of my subsequent life to collecting their recorded output and observing them play live. That's my musical education. I'm not a trained musician, it is only natural that I play the music that I grew up listening to.

SD: Living in Omaha most of my life, I've never had a chance to see someone perform something like this live, at least not beyond the 5-10 minute improv jam you might see from Nels Cline, Thurston Moore or somebody like that. What can somebody expect from a White Out show?
Read the rest @ SonicDissonance.com
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|