View Single Post
Old 03.10.2018, 12:14 PM   #50439
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
you're trolling me aren't you?

For me personally, Metallica was always... eh. My first real exposure to them was the black album, but this was around the same time that Nirvana/Pearl Jam/RHCP came into my world. I was what? 10? 11? And this was really when music started to matter to me. So really Metallica at that time was like "oh I like a few songs," but I lumped them in w/ like GnR as this sort of lame testosterony rock that stuff like Nirvana was the antithesis to.

In high school it was all the meatheads that were into Metallica. Load and all that was huge for them. Wasn't there a Some Kind Of Monster soundtrack too? I don't remember. SO I kind of stayed away/hated it by association of that group of high school jerks.

As stated, I did find something interesting about S&M at the time. Because it actually seemed interesting, and maybe outside the comfort zone of usual Metallica fans? I don't know.

So I didn't really come around to the band until like 2008 when everyone here was into Death Magnetic. I feel like my reaction was "wait, what? You guys like Metallica? Really?" - which I imagine is how everyone thought of me talking about Korn at the time so whatevs. So then I did kind of give them more of a shot and revisit things and explore more.

I'm still not a big fan or anythign, but I respect them more. This conversation even has me more interested again.

I've heard most of the studio albums. At least up through Reload. Or St. Anger.

I've always been interested in Live Shit: Binge & Purge, and Garage Inc. Can anyone speak on the quality of those?

I've also always meant to watch Some Kind Of Monster, as I've heard it's pretty fascinating.

Oh fuck off. I feel like you guys just made me interested in Metallica again. :\

Here’s the thing about Metallica: Their first three (or four, or even five if you’re asking some people.... but I say first three) albums are just undeniably influential, significant and awesome. I’m almost never in the mood to listen to any kind of metal, but when I am, I can’t hell but compare what I’m hearing — even if it’s a totally different sub genre like Deafheaven or The Body — to Kill ‘Em All/Ride The Lightning/Master of Puppets. Those albums are the Bible of the genre post-Sabbath. Some may say AC/DC or Judas Priest, but no... Metal *is* those albums (and of course the first handful of Slayer release).

Everything after that is just variations on arena-level hard rock. I listened to Black and Load and Reload in school and liked most of it well enough, but it’s not essential.

I feel perfectly happy and comfortable placing Metallica’s first three albums right next to Meat Puppets and Minutemen in my album collection, and I’ll defend that shit to the death against anyone who wants to take issues with it.

Personally I prefer Slayer on an aesthetic level — they had more of a punk think going under the thrash — but Metallica’s first trilogy of albums is something every self-respecting music fan should probably own.

After that it’s whatever.
I’m actually surprised to hear that people here liked Death Magnetic in 2008. I can’t remember anything from that album except that it sounded like it was recorded in a two dimensional coffin (like the one on the cover!) ... so people probably appreciated the “DIY”-ness of it. But meh. IDGAF about it or anything else that came out after 1988 at the absolute latest, except for the aforementioned nostalgic connection to, like, “Hero of the Day.” But it’s not good music. (Actually it probably is, technically speaking, good music, but artistically it’s candy.)

I wasn’t trolling you with the SPs comment. Not intentionally anyway. That’s just what came out of my brain/fingers at that moment. Swear to god.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|