View Single Post
Old 09.02.2014, 12:04 AM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
To be sure, I didn't myself rank it higher than Bleach at all, but I was noting that in its own time, the Hole record was better received. Obviously Nevermind came out shortly thereafter that same year as Pretty On the Inside and people well, forgot about it entirely

I don't think she chose that, I think she was born that way, indeed can we call it destiny?

While Nirvana certainly introduced me to a lot of other bands, mainly Sonic Youth, I still think even if its out of the sheer nostalgia that Nirvana will also be worth more to me than almost any other band. I mean, literally, Nirvana taught me how to play the guitar yo, and THAT is a huge part of my life. Nirvana was the first band to really make me passionate about listening to, writing, and performing music. In that regard they are truly the Beatles of our generation, all the bands from the mid-to-late 1960s and early 70s cite the Beatles as the major influence in starting up in music. For me Nirvana is that band, whether it was inspiring the sound of my music or just motivating me to say, "Wait, I CAN do that too!"

For me that band was Sonic Youth itself. But Nirvana is definitely one of the greats, and I don't think it's just about nostalgia. Though their music does certainly take me back to a different time and place -- namely high school, the mid '90s -- I can honestly say that my true appreciation of their music didn't even kick in until I was much older. The reissues have done a great deal to help me put into perspective an era that I was too caught up in to view with any objectivity at the time.

I get more sheer enjoyment out of listening to Nirvana now than I ever did before, and I can't say why. It just isn't about hype, or self-identifying with anything anymore. It's about listening to great music. In 1994, one couldn't separate Nirvana's music from Kurt's death. Now it's a cleaner process. I don't grieve for a lost hero... I just enjoy the music. It's less personal, but that's healthy. I don't know... I seem to have misplaced my point.. I will be sure to let someone know if I find it again.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|