View Single Post
Old 05.16.2006, 09:58 PM   #7
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, on the strength of just this one song and a few moments of a CDR I heard in a friend's car, I'm really excited to hear more of Raccoo-oo-oon, and I think I'll start next with the LP that's just out on Not Not Fun, which I hope to be getting very soon. I guess there's a buncha cassette-only and CDR releases by them. Perhaps I'm too late to attempt to become a completist Raccoo-oo-oon collector. Damn "CDR/Cassette Underground"...it's all so deep and prolific!

Mike from Burmese was running a record store until last year called Record Collector in San Francisco. It was a cool place, but rent was backbreaking, I guess. I missed the final sale before all the remaining records were shipped back the original Record Collector, which he told me was in Iowa City. I never understood that connection, though, until you mentioned it just now. My understanding of the roots of the Burmese family tree went only so far back as Peach of Immortality, a band based in Chicago about 8-10 years ago or so...and I suppose he was also in the rotational lineup of Miss High Heel, the token "grind/powerviolence" band of Chicago's mid- to late-90's neo no wave scene.

That Crack House 7" is obviously a very limited one...maybe 300 made, released to little fanfare, but by the looks of the printwork and the name "Jim" on the sleeve, I'm about 95% sure that Crack House was related to Unholy Swill, and that Jim would be the guy who ran--and recently rekindled--the excellent Noiseville Records label.

I got an inkling to spin it because I found a little circle of very young suburban Portland bands who mess around with the over-the-top braincell-devastatin' zero-talent fuckophonic scuzzpunk. I'm watching every move these kids make now that I've discovered them randomly on MySpace.

Yesterday was definitely my most fruitful day of MySpace bandlinking...listening to one band based on their name, titles, and ridiculous profile info, and then listening to all the other bands linked to them. I was listening to links of links of links, and every band ruled in some way or another!

What's really miraculous about them is how disconnected they seem with music in Portland, and, of course, no one in Portland knows they exist. So these shows are happening at senior centers in outlying towns of 30,000 population!?

Boredom is great inspiration. The first four years of hardcore punk proved that.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|