View Single Post
Old 03.28.2016, 05:51 PM   #93
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissonu
hell naw it aint that bad. it was entertaining as hell and batman alone made it worth it for me, nigga. they had to put batman in it so it would sell. superman on his own dont sell as good

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry to say it, but Superman is just not working with this generation. I think it's partly because the character is considered too simple and too "boring" by a lot of fans who have come to expect more complex and relatable stories. In fact, Batman is partially to blame for this. I don't know when it truly started, but it came to a head with Tim Burton's Batman. That movie reinvented Batman in a pretty perfect way for that era, and ever since then comic books and films have strived to be more high-brow, and more character driven.

Marvel took the cue, and they tried to model their movies after Tim Burton's Batman... in ways that vary from subtle (making the X-men suits black) to absurdly obvious (the Daredevil movie), and it still dogs them to this day. They try to make the Avengers feel pretty "dark" (for the Avengers), and Iron Man has basically become just a snappy Republican Batman.

Superman doesn't exist in that world. He is a simple character but he's based on some very interesting religious and philosophical concepts, and to explore those you need to get pretty big and un relatable. You need to address ideas of gods and men, and you need to frame Superman in a way that shows and demonstrates his power, but also his vulnerabilities.

That's fuckin' hard.

Batman is the most popular super hero of all time, and has been for many years now. For good reason! He's way better and infinitely more intersting than Spider-Man, and his villains are choice. He works well in the modern world. But
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|