View Single Post
Old 10.25.2013, 09:47 AM   #1087
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Here's what I'm thinking after more research: Kanye doesn't write his lyrics...

This should concern you more than it seems to.

Quote:

He credits his crew when they help with a song, but you can tell from his flow on the first here albums that he was mainly spitting off the cuff, or from memory.

He did do that, yes, in the liner notes, even on Yeezus.

Quote:

On 808's, he was going for a pop star, Prince/MJ vibe, so it makes sense that he would have writing help. But I don't believe anyone has ever written his songs for him, especially not on MBDTF, watch the throne, Cruel Summer, or Yeezus.

Quote:

Also, how many rap artists can claim full ownership of every lyric in every song?

Not every song, true, doing the same research as you it seems Kanye has a lot more ghostwriters than usual.

Quote:
Rap writing is a different creative process than singer-songwriter shit. Emcees since the dawn of rap have been bouncing lines around with their crews. It's how the genre works.

That is not true, plenty of MCs and rappers free-style all their own material. How did Tupac fill up 48 hours of unreleased studio tapes during the All Eyez on Me recording sessions? Free-styling and rapping note versions like crazy on tape, even acappella. Its how all those Makaveli tapes and remixes came out. You're right, rap and hip-hop are created through a different kind of process, but I don't think its fair in your Kanye Apologist posts to suddenly throw all of rap music under the "they don't write their own shit" bus in order to legitimize Kanye doing it. If Kanye does it extensively, that is his thing, whatever, but lets not discredit all of rap and hip-hop along the way.

Quote:

Anyone with more info please speak up.

Agreed, there is a lot we don't know, more than we do, but just looking at Kanye's credits and album liner notes, its clear he gives A LOT of credit to A LOT of writers. Usually in rap, this is the credit you give to OTHER rappers who also appeared on your track, but for Kanye it seems there is more to this than just that.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|