Thread: John Fahey
View Single Post
Old 02.23.2012, 07:45 PM   #144
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Yeah, since I have everything else he put out, I kinda had to get it. A lot of $, but glad I did it. Not every track is one you will want to hear over and over again. He does vocal imitations of elderly country blues singers, which are difficult to listen to. He does some pranks by incorporating lyrics about existential philosophers into country blues song. He does several flute duets, which are not my favorite. He does some vocal duets with someone who sounds like an amatuer church singer. Intermingled with all these are solo guitar instrumentals of increasing solidity, ingenuity, and grace. He started these recordings before he was 20 years old, they are chronological, and end in the mid sixties. You hear his style and influences develop over those years. There are many tracks on here that are early, alternate versions of tracks which would later end up on his classic Takoma LPs. In several instances a song will evolve over several recording sessions, adding and losing parts; such as Night Train to Valhalla, Portland Cement Factory at Monolith, CA, & The Trancendental Waterfall. If you know his catalog, these songs are highly distinctive, and their development is sure to fascinate. By discs 4 & 5 he has generally dropped the singing and pranks, is really streching out and defining his style, and getting experimental. These discs contain previosly unreleased compositions worthy of inclusion on his classic Takoma LPs. Much of it was originally slated for inclusion in the ledgendary, labyrinthine, apocryphal Voice of the Turtle album(s), which was/were at one point planned to be a double LP. There are a few tracks that incorporate backwards vina, which are awesome. The book contains exhaustive information on the sessions, breaks down and analyses each track, lots of new photos, essays, a previously unpublished interview, and a nice poem by Byron Coley. I love this kind of set. However, I could see myself making a playlist of the songs I wanted to hear repeatedly, and not revisit the others very often. Such a playlist would still be pretty long.

My set, ordered from Dust to Digital, included a Fonotone Records bottle opener.

This set would not be a good introduction to Fahey, there are several best-of collections that would be infinitely better for that. This is for the hardcore Fahey fans, and for those fans this set is a long time coming and is essential. I was expecting it to cost more, and would have bought it anyway.

I bought it too. At first I just downloaded it but the packaging looked way too enticing to pass up so I bought it. I just had to! Definitely one of my favorite reissues of the year 2011 and worth every penny.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|