View Single Post
Old 07.03.2017, 09:46 PM   #1318
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It is really good. If you've only seen the 1st episode don't worry about it dipping in form; it maintains to the end. I haven't read the book either. I'm sure it missed loads but it still felt utterly epic and coherent to me. Don't wanna say too much to avoid spoilers but yeah, loved it.
i watched the whole of it nonstop and it was BRILLIANT

i think regardless of what may have been taken out it felt very much like tolstoy. i mean from the things i've read from him (ivan ilich, anna karenina, various tales, etc) i thought it was right on the money with his obsessions. this regardless of actual faithfulness to the text. i was afraid it wouldn't feel that way because in some interview the screenwriters said they had "removed some of the preaching" and let the characters shine through-- but i actually like tolstoy's preaching, and i think his themes did show very well no matter what.

dammit dammit dammit it was so good. the end even better than the beginning.

and funny thing i saw/realized that solzhenitisyn's a day in the life of ivan denisovich owes so much to this.

i really wanna read the book now. i really do.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|