View Single Post
Old 10.09.2018, 07:28 AM   #2209
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah i tried the audiobook already. no.

well okay if i read it maybe printed, but no, look

i think the cinematography here is better than gaiman’s sentences

therefore, this story is better told

it just looks so brilliant

but anyway, with no more show coming till 2019, i might grow impatient and just read it, yeah.

but is the book gonna look and feel like this? i dont know man.... this is realer than real. this is i am there, not just thinking about it.

To me, the book feels far more understated. I never would have assumed that the “real” scenes of Shadow in prison, or chillin’ with Wednesday would be rendered in such maximal/saturated visual detail... Honestly, not even the “dream” scenes like the meeting of Techno Boy felt that way to me.

In my mind, while reading, it all feels quite “normal” looking until this certain point in the book (they haven’t arrived there in the show yet) where the “real” and the “dream” stuff become one and the same very clearly. After that it’s anything goes, but I always expected the story to look quite normal until that point.

But... I also thought Shadow should be played by either Clive Owen (or, if they wanted an older energy, Bruce Willis), and that Wednesday NEEDED to be played by the dude in Jurassic Park... the dead Attenborough... know the one? With the white beard, yeah?
And I thought Anansi should be a “The Shining”-age Scatman Crothers... sooooo, obviously I did not have the same vision, but you can tell I’ve been thinking about this for a LONG ass time.

OH, and I thought Terry Gilliam was *fucking born* to direct this thing.

Anywho... I do think it’s worth a read. You like Sandman, yes?
Well, Gaiman was still in kind of a Sandmany place when he wrote the book, so a lot of those themes are present in it, and there’s a simialar writing and pacing style.

Gotta read it before you die. Solid book. I prefer it to “Neverwhere” even if he perfected his style and tone even more later on with “The Ocean at the End of the Lane.”

Also calling it “early” Gaiman as I did in my last post is kind of misleading. It’s not that early.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|