View Single Post
Old 07.08.2008, 05:57 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
if you're so intent on calling yourself a music expert then fine, but i think there's a difference between being knowledgeable and being an expert.
anyway, what i was talking about as far as experts go would be someone like dj rick who from what i've seen here knows more about regional punk scenes than than the people who listen to that music and live in those places. people like him are experts, some people just listened to polvo when they were at college, and other people fall somewhere in between.

I quite admire people like DJ Rick, who seem to have an entirely comprehensive appreciation for things. And I'll agree with your general criticism of Rob (mainly because it amuses me).

I was going to write earlier (that is, when I was sober) that my understanding of expert is that they're entirely capable of describing music in terms of music theory. As I've probably said earlier in this thread, the ability to dissect music in purely musical terms generally leads people away from enjoying it. I know some people who can extrapolate to an entire scene based on one or two songs of one band, and emulate quickly and easily. I'd say these people are experts. They're also the people who listen to least music.

Listen well, not lots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|