View Single Post
Old 03.03.2016, 09:49 PM   #972
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
you are right. I wear my purple on my sleeve. Love Dipset. I basically wrote you this long post this mornign but it got deleted... so here we go.

Dipset is so weird. And I love them for it. They are for more interesting than say G-Unit. Because they're so unique. I mean... they consistently sample prog rock haha. So strange and awesome.

You already know Purple Haze which is my top pick for newcomers. But here's an odd hodgepodge I want you to look into...

The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity 2
The first album is technically better. But it's 2 discs, sprawling. And it is also while Cam is still at Roc-A-Fella. DI2 is where they cut off to Koch and go indie and the shit is full of personality. This is like new tracks but also tracks from their solo stuff so it's a great intro. That said, make sure you hear "Ground Zero" from the first DI album. It is probably my favorite group cut.

Dipset - More Than Music
This is where the crew is highlighted more via b-players like Hell Rell, JR Writer, etc. But it's so so fun. It's like a mixtape with lots of money behind it. They flip Marley Marl's "Symphony" and manage to not make it sound trite.

Cam'ron - Crime Pays
I slept on this at first and have kicked myself since. Araabmuzik's beats are incredible and Cam's ability to from human on "I Hate My Job" to out-there on a skit where he spends 2 mins threatening to shit in a girl's car really highlight how nuts these guys are.

Jim Jones - Hustler's POME
This is Jim's best album I think. It spawned the hit "We Fly High" which is a Dipset calling card. It's crazy to remember that at a time FUCKING DIPSET was everywhere. Mainstream radio, movie trailers, etc - cuz of this song. But there's way better tracks here. "Reppin Time" is dope. And "Emotionless" is ironically the most emotional track he's ever done. Insane.

Jim Jones - Harlem's American Gangster
On the flip I want you to hear this not because it's good, but because of the audacity. I love this album but it's legit a mixtape that Koch decided to remaster and release. The mixing sucks at times. But I love the concept. Jim - who is no great lyricist - decides to make a whole diss/response album to Jay's American Gangster? THE BALLS! It is so appalling that I applaud it. For all its missteps, I probably listened to it as much as Jay's album that year.

... the first Diplomatic Immunity is technically "the best" thing they've done as a group - but I tried to outline a handful of the more interesting entries in their discography.

And again, I am really an obsesso. i mean... I even have A Dipset Xmas on CD. For real.