View Single Post
Old 06.02.2009, 08:10 AM   #19
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
i was thinking about this when i was driving and listening to Wildflower Soul (awesome song)

before Jim entered the picture, i loved the way their songs sort of ran with each other. mostly in their Washing Machine, ATL and NYCG+F albums. they barely followed song structure. i think in the book (Goodbye20thCentury), it was described as guitars running parallel to each other. Wildflower Soul was great like that.

but then Jim came in and sort of structured the way they wrote. I love Sonic Nurse and loved the way Jim influenced them, but i feel since Jim's gone - they should go back to the way they wrote songs before. more free form and more original structures. I listen to the Eternal now and it's a great album but i feel they're sticking to these 'rock song formulas'. i don't know, my two cents.

i'm glad Eternal's getting good reviews but i sort of wish they made another pre-Jim record. rather than post-Jim
This is probably why I dislike The Eternal so much, actually. I love Jim and all, too; Sonic Nurse is one of my favorite Sonic Youth albums. Still, though, it seems like he did something bad to the band, or perhaps it was just that the band's equipment being stolen after A Thousand Leaves that "hurt" them. It seems to have made them re-evaluate who they were as a band once they acquired new instruments, which is cool, because I like where they've gone post-NYCG&F, yet at the same time, A Thousand Leaves is my favorite SY album, so for them reel in their oddities like that is a little bit distressing. Although, certainly, their odd ways are still on display if you look at the SYR releases, or the No Fun fest, so I'm not exactly sure why they can't take a dare and make one of their major releases more "out there" like their side offerings are. Maybe eventually.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|