View Single Post
Old 10.04.2008, 02:16 AM   #31
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Recently I've began reading William Gibson's Neuromancer. Also, by chance, I've also been listening to Massive Attack's "Angel" a lot again which, I feel, has a kind of cyberpunkish feel. So now I want more music that might compliment reading cyberpunk. I'm downloading Oval's 94DISKONT thinking some glitch might work? Anyways, you all know any music that kind of brings that kind of bleak techno dystopia feel?

So your question, thankfully, isn't what music fits the genre of cyberpunk, or even what music has influenced cyberpunk, but rather, what might we suggest as a soundtrack to reading cyberpunk. A good question, and more interesting to me than the other two.

Autechre's Peel Session comes immediately to mind, as do most of their albums. But "Drone" on the Peel Session is perfect for the task.

Fennesz also comes to mind as the perfect mood music for reading about high tech dystopian near-futures.

Mouse On Mars would also do well, and if you could handle the distraction while reading of Mark E. Smith's vocals, their collaboration with him Von Sudenfed may arguably be the truest melding of "punk" and "cyber" in music yet.

Christian Vogel's Rescate 137 is an album that feels very much like it was recorded as a soundtrack for books, and I mean that positively.

If Massive Attack worked for you, then why not U.F.ORB or Orbus Terrarum? Beyond the Ultraworld wouldn't do with "Little Fluffly Clouds" and "Perpetual Dawn" in there, but the next couple Orb albums are both darker and more minimal, which seems what you need.

On a similar tip, Lifeforms by the Future Sound of London seems quite appropriate for your purposes.

On the older front, the first album by Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation fits remarkably well, as would tons of Kraftwerk but especially Autobahn. NEU! also seems to fit the bill.

Sonic Youth once flippantly claimed their music was cyberpunk, but really the record by them that would meet your needs would be the Ciccone Youth disc, especially the instrumental parts.

A lot of other suggestions people have made here are good, except they might not work so well for your stated purpose. Who could possibley read while listening to Prodigy or Atari Teenage Riot?? Might as well try Godflesh if you're going to do that.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|