View Single Post
Old 02.19.2011, 04:27 PM   #59
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think, for me, the weird thing with Avril is that she's got a much, much better voice than nearly every other vocalist I can think of - with people like Namchylek, Galas and orthodox opera sorts excluded. She also (unlike late-Carey or early-Aguilera) produces (arguably) great (pop) songs. What grates with me is that she's treated as if a pop artists shouldn't do what she does. What, exactly, is wrong with co-opting (pop) punk techniques for a popular audience? Do we criticise Blondie after the fact for being popular (or stealing reggae ideas)? VU/ Stooges/ Ramones for being on adverts? B182 for not singing about fucking dogs any more?

Don't like her music - that's fine; what I find odd is criticising a pop artist for being a pop artist and doing pop artist things. Gaga doesn't seem to rile SYG the way Lavigne does - is this because people aren't talking about her as much, or because she goes no-where near the SYG sensibility? Ok, she's stitched into the vulgar end of the 'pop system', but I don't think any post-pubescents believe she's 'authentic' in the way 'we' believe Black Flag [who, personally, I've never liked] to be.

None of this has anything to do with the music, by the by. I'm getting to love the vintage synths on it. SSOOOOOOOOO excited for the new album.

Glice, baby. Your arguments get me so hot and bothered.

By the by, I'm really enjoying this new Avril track. It's one of the few things I'm excited to hear when I'm listening to the radio at work. I think pop music is doing well right now. Katie Perry, Beyonce, and Rihanna all produce music I'm generally interested to hear and often times love. Now, we've got a new Avril? I'm so excited.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|