Thread: atsonicpark
View Single Post
Old 10.23.2009, 01:17 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, what's interesting about OCD, is that tons of people have it, but tons of people don't show the symptoms of it. And often times, something traumatic will bring out the OCD in a person. It's a life changing thing. I've even heard of people taking drugs and having OCD afterwards. I don't know what really "caused" my OCD symptoms to come out, but I guess I started going to a psychiatrist after I reached puberty -- you know, I don't even know why I started going then, my mom felt like I needed to go. I honestly can't recall. I was abused from the ages of 4 to 7 by my stepmom, but I was pretty "Normal" aside from that... made straight-A's, never missed school, never got in trouble really. I didn't really start acting out. I just dyed my hair and shit. I dunno. I guess my mom felt like I was "troubled" so I started going at puberty/age 13 or so. Looking back on it, it was a great experience. I loved my psychiatrist, she was cool as shit. Anyway, I told her how I had to have everything organized or I'd sweat and get stressed out... if I lost something, I felt like I was going to faint... I couldn't just push things under the table, I'd let them eat at me... I constantly had to know what time it was... I was obsessed with order... you know, all these things, right? And she said, "You have OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER." And it was the first time I'd ever even heard of it, and I guess I felt pretty weird about it.

See, the thing is, it did effect my life in ways I didn't realize, but back then I couldn't comprehend it so much... but looking at other people NOW -- yeah, I am a little off. I relate to people really easily, and I get along with people, and I'm surprisingly popular (though that doesn't even matter, since I don't like going around people). So, yeah, I dunno, it really hasn't gotten in the way of my life to the extent that it has (that I know of) prevented me from doing the things I enjoy. In fact, I've learned to live with it, and I think it's kinda cool... you know, things in order... why not? Makes life easier. At the same time, I do have feelings sometimes like my brain is lying to me, so that's kinda shitty but eh. Between acid reflux, insomnia, depression, and OCD... OCD's the least of my worries!

But the thing about OCD is that, there isn't any one "type" of OCD. Like, you can't make a list of OCD symptoms, in a way... you CAN, we all have a lot of things in common, but there's different extents to which the disease... wait, lemme start over. I know people with OCD who wash their hands constantly -- I don't do that. I organize things constantly -- I know people with OCD who don't do that. So, the question is, does your friend's OCD get in the way of her life, to the extent that she can't enjoy the things she wants to do? Then, it's a problem.

There's difference medicine for OCD... OCD is strongly related to anxiety, in general, which often brings OCD symptoms up. I guess, looking back on it, I did used to have panic attacks in crowded areas. I still occasionally feel weird around huge groups of people. Guess I could never go to Japan, as much as I want to. Damn, OCD has ruined my life!......

Just kidding. Well, sort of. But, yeah, I don't know if there is a way for me to tell you how to make your friend feel better but if her symptoms aren't stopping her from doing the things she wants to do, then make the best of it. That's the interesting thing about OCD... except in some really weird cases, I think OCD isn't too bad of a disease. Clean freaks? Neat freaks? That sounds pretty awesome, you know, to the average person. I wish more people were cleaner and neater and more organized! Watching your weight and stuff like that? I mean, you know... there's some people with good symptoms. But then there's the people who have to count every step... well, I used to do that too... you know...

Let me start over and just say that my OCD symptoms have seemed to have decreased as I've gotten older. I dunno if this is the norm, but perhaps you could tell her that..

I dunno. Any other questions, lemme know!!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|