View Single Post
Old 03.09.2007, 09:43 AM   #23
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I think of most SY albums as concept albums - obviously not in the sense that they tell a story (i think the album is a terrible format for that kinda of indulgence anyway) but in the sense that they all strike up particular images and emotions.
A few personal ideas:

Bad Moon Rising - Someone on the board said it was the "soundtrack to a punk horror road film', everytime I hear it I can't help but see desert highways, and far out ghost towns, all backdropped by a rising sunset.

EVOL - Continues this road theme. Like the liner notes describe, 2 teenages going off to discover America. "I left home for experience caved suk for honesty on my chest" still remains my favourite Sonic Youth line ever.

Daydream Nation - The Perfect soundtrack to a Richard Linklater film. One can imagine hanging out with friends, getting drunk, stoned and staying up to the early hours talking shit. The burning candle says it all. I always thought of this album as the perfect elegy to the Reagan years and to the 80's.

I could go on, but those are the records that seem to have the most conceptional connections. I can't pinpoint where most of these images and ideas come from...they just seem to be there in the music.