View Single Post
Old 06.28.2016, 03:00 PM   #289
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
So the question is: how much can she change before you stop liking her?

She'd have to start favoring corporations over people

Quote:
And if she's going to compromise and concede too often, what's the point of liking her in the first place?

I never said "too often" or "to the polar opposite". I just said compromise is required in a democracy. More so in a mega-country.

In practical terms, 51% Eros vs 49% Tanathos is all you need to stay alive.

Quote:
I get the game of give and take, but will she someday support tax breaks for the wealthy because this creates more capital to build factories and create jobs? I don't know.

If you look at DC enough you realize it doesn't work that way. She's old enough that she won't experience a sudden conversion now (though that rat bastard Joe Liebarman did it in deep geezerhood, so there's no guarantee).

It's more like--instead of raising the estate tax by 5 points let's keep it as it is but in exchange you guarantee me to fund headstart. That sort of thing. Tit for tat. And if you're good at it you benefit your cause in the aggregate. You always win by points, not by knockout.

Quote:
Maybe you've never strongly supported a politician who eventually let you down.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! It's exactly the opposite. I've learned my lessons from disappointment. I'm a realist now. I know the limits. I've also lived under tyranny so I appreciate this system warts and all.

Lastly I once got involved in local politics and saw how things really work--everyone wants something, everybody pulls in their own direction, and you have to negotiate and navigate that. It's ugly and it takes a certain type of person to enjoy it.

Quote:
Maybe I'm too cynical.

Wasn't the cynic always the disappointed romantic?

Quote:
She's changed in the past year or so. I don't know how to process it. I'm just being cautious in my cheer leading.

Are you talking about her public persona or about her policy positions? Was she "for it before she was against it," or something? I'm not saying she hasn't changed, just would like to hear something substantial.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|