View Single Post
Old 05.22.2013, 07:09 AM   #56
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I did mean abusive both in the physical and psychological sense of the word and I have also used yours and sway's attitudes on this thread as examples of the sort of sceptical scrutiny a woman who has been mistreated in a relationship often has to put up with, particularly from other males around her. You are both trying to find a fault in her statements to the press, when we are talking about someone who has been very private about her own personal life for years and years, so I don’t understand why she shouldn’t tell it straight now. I don't get why you both continue to doubt that she's been cheated on. And yes, there is more to the story, probably, but who said there isn’t?

Of course, women get abused, and sometimes they are met with an unfair skepticism when they seek help. But we are talking about people who we don't even know in a matter of the heart, as opposed to physical abuse. Therefore, doubt should be our default viewpoint. ("Doubt" doesn't mean that we are convinced Kim is wrong or that we are convinced Thurston is innocent. It just means that we are not willing to draw conclusions about a situation we know so little about.)

I'm glad that you agree that there may be more to the story, but when you say that Thurston is the "villain" in this story, you don't seem to acknowledge that there may be another side.

Finally, I'm not trying to find fault in Kim's statements. I'm simply not convinced that it reveals all the relevant facts in this story. My attitude about Thurston's alleged cheating is very much like a jury: "innocent until proven guilty." But I doubt that any of us will ever have enough "evidence" to reach a fair "verdict." If I had some way of knowing that Thurston simply got bored of Kim and decided to sleep with someone new, then I would lose a lot of respect for him.