View Single Post
Old 05.18.2009, 05:48 PM   #26
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
What to say, what to say... my first Sonic Youth album was Dirty. I was 12, and you can imagine I loved it so. My second album was NYC Ghosts & Flowers. Quite a transition. I don't know what it was about this album. I can't say I liked it initially, but something about it made me curious, like being in 5th grade looking at a calculus textbook. Somehow, I knew it was brilliant, but it would take time to understand. And that's how it was.

Renegade Princess became one of my favorite songs quickly. My sister and I would jam to it, and she really isn't even a fan. I remember we loved the line "crystal hearts gonna break you downnn." So every time I picked up this album, I would always skip to track 2. It took a month or so to even get to the 2-minute mark of Free City Rhymes, but when I did, everything became clear. Free City Rhymes may be my favorite tune by the Youth now.

I have really no complaints about this album. The ending of Lightnin' gives me chills every time. The end of Renegade Princess reminds me of EVOL. Nevermind is groovy, Small Flowers Crack Concrete is hip, Side2side is a whirl, StreamXsonik Subway is raging, and NYC Ghosts & Flowers is a masterpiece.

I like it.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|