View Single Post
Old 03.01.2010, 02:33 PM   #77
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Those very culture/linguistic/style elements you mention have been absorbed within British inner cities for decades. There's a massive carribean influence in cities like London, Birmingham, Bristol. Dubstep is more an expression of that than any kind of exotic borrowing. You're in danger of imposing the kind of racial segregation that may take place in LA on to what goes on here.

Because Sonic Youth shout 'Shake', does that mean they should sound like Bill Haley?

EDIT: Poo, I appear to have pretty much duplicated Glice's post.

I told you, its not racial/ethnic. In Rastafari, we have more issues with black folks and Caribean imitators than anything else! Black white or brown Rastafari does not like folks representing Rastafari imagery (Lion of Judah motiffs, Ites-Gold-Green, 'One Love' etc etc) and sound (Ras Speak, rastafari music like drum and shaker, the one drop drum beat etc etc) without some experience or empathy with Rastafari culture.

In Dubstep, some folks are as stylishly 'Rasta' as some folks in hip hop dress/act like gangsters but have never been in trouble in they life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glice
Rastafari doesn't hold the exclusive dominion on Jamaican culture. A quick Google search suggests that Rasta are 5% of the Jamaican population. You might as well criticise dancehall/ ragga for building on Rasta culture. I know a lot of the roots guys hold Rastafari very dear, but I'd imagine that the criticism of, say, Spragga Benz or Ward 21 wouldn't be because of their use of slang but because of their spiritual slackness.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be sensitive to religious and spiritual beliefs - but they shouldn't attempt to prohibit musical expression because of the similarity of linguistic or musical vernacular.

We criticize dancehall MUCH MORE than dubstep! all boogie cultures that use pieces of rastafari get the fyah burn pon them! hotta fyah red red!
You misunderstand, its not that Rastafari have exclusive control of JA culture, BUT Caribeans do not have access to Rastafari culture by proxy. Rastafari culture is just that, Rastafari culture, it happens to be Caribean but they are by no means synonomous. We in Rastafari check ALL folks who floss our colors, talk our talk, sing our sings, but are NOT rastafari, as Rastafari is a very very heartical religious/political/social movement.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|