View Single Post
Old 05.15.2015, 07:02 PM   #6712
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
KNXWLEDGE - Hud Dreems (Stones Throw, 2015)

EDIT: Originally, I called this album "out there and brilliant," a "must hear," and compared Knxwledge to Ras G & the Afrikan Space Program.

Truth is, this is a dope collection of beats, and I would highly recommend it to fans of Jazz & Afro-funk influenced instrumental hip-hop, but calling it "brilliant" was overzealous and kind of insulting to the artists who turned beat-making into a legitimate art form that could carry an entire album on its own. So please, don't expect Knx to hold a candle to Pete Rock, J Dilla, Premier, Madlib, J Rocc, etc.

That said, music doesn't have to be revolutionary to be really fuckin' good. And there's plenty of promise here. He's a good match for Stones Throw, and I hope to hear more collaborative work from him in the future.

Also, like Kamasi Washington's successful new record, The Epic, Hud Dreems ha a very natural and present feel to it, as though it's sound and vibe somehow just fit with the spirit of 2015.
This is, of course, because both Knxwledge and Washington contributed to Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, which has in the 3 months since its release, already become both a cultural phenomenon and a hip-hop classic. Hud Dreems shares a bit of DNA with the biggest album of the year, and at times, it feels like a TPAB spinoff or side story.

So, yeah. Here's a song from Knx's 2010 LP Klouds:

http://youtu.be/b7ty2uAqurM
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|